The Point is Biola University's campus magazine, produced by students, for students, about college life and the world beyond. The Point exists to enrich Biola's campus by diving deeply into people's stories and exploring issues at the intersection of student life and faith.
We are a publication of Biola University's journalism department and release one issue per semester. Our student staff gain hands-on experience in all aspects of magazine production including writing, editing, photography and graphic design. Each issue of The Point builds on a growing campus legacy that has, from the beginning, involved breaking molds and exceeding expectations. The Point has gained a reputation for not being afraid to tackle any topic, and for bringing a unique perspective to campus conversations.
We aim for quality, integrity and impact as we continue to carry out our mission. But we also have a little fun along the way. Our magazine staff has participated in a mud run, hosted a chili cookoff, and road-tripped all over the state of California. You'll want to pick up a copy of our magazine each semester to see what we're up to next!
In 2008, The Point was pushed into the national spotlight when we received a Pacemaker Award from the Associated Collegiate Press (ACP). The same year, we were also recognized for first place in magazine general excellence by the Christian College Media Association (CCMA). Keep your eyes open for us to continue to win awards in years to come.
Our Core Values
- Publication excellence
Questions You Might be Asking
Is The Point the same as the Biola Magazine?
- No, The Point is produced and published entirely by students with funding from the journalism department. The Biola Magazine is the university's quarterly publication produced by university administration.
When did The Point start?
- The magazine was founded in spring 2006 by a group of students under the direction of faculty advisor Tamara Welter. The Point was begun because students felt the campus needed a forum for long-form journalism that would more effectively tell the stories of those in the Biola community.
How often is The Point published?
- The Point is printed once per semester, distributing our fall issue in December and our spring issue in May.
Is the magazine free?
- Yes! The Point has always been, and will continue to be, free to students, faculty, parents and Biola alumni. Individual copies are also available for purchase by businesses who advertise in the magazine.
Can I receive the magazine even if I am not a Biola student?
- We can accommodate requests for individual issues of The Point on a limited basis. Email us at pointmag at biola period edu if you are interested in getting a copy.